Entry tags:
Yuletide Reveal
I can now officially reveal the fic I wrote for Yuletide:
Saving the World (Each in Their Own Way) (5149 words) by geri_chan
Chapters: 1/1
Fandom: Troubleshooter Inc. - Suzanne Brockmann
Rating: Teen And Up Audiences
Warning: No Archive Warnings Apply
Relationships: Roger "Sam" Starrett/Alyssa Locke
Characters: Roger "Sam" Starrett, Alyssa Locke, Jules Cassidy, Robin Chadwick
Summary: Waiting for Alyssa and Jules to return from a mission is much harder for Sam than risking his own life. But if he can't be there with them, at least he can provide them with a hot meal and a home to return to.
I matched with my recipient Supergreak on the Troubleshooters series of novels that I've reviewed in previous posts. I was really excited, and then had a brief moment of panic when I realized that I'd offered to write in a military action/adventure/romance series, but don't usually write a lot of action scenes and have very little knowledge about weapons or military strategy beyond what I've read in the books or seen in movies/TV shows. Feeling kind of sheepish about that now, but I loved the characters and relationships in the series so much that it managed to slip my mind that someone might request an action-heavy prompt instead of a shippy (or friendshippy) one. (I would of course have done my best to write that type of story if requested, but it would have required a lot more research and canon review.)
Fortunately, Supergreak asked for "friendshippy-bonding" between Sam, Alyssa, and Jules, and gave a suggested prompt of "Maybe having Bonding Time in the middle of saving the world." I love the friendships between Alyssa and Jules, and Sam and Jules, so I was really happy to have a chance to write about my favorite characters and the bonds between them. The prompt gave me enough freedom to focus on the friendshippy stuff, but the phrase "saving the world" ended up playing a role in the story, though more in the background of the main plot.
Alyssa and Jules are off on a mission to save the world--well, maybe not the entire world, but to at least prevent a domestic terrorist attack from taking place in Sam and Alyssa's home city of San Diego. Former Navy SEAL Sam is used to being a man of action, but I decided to keep him at home in the story, taking care of his and Alyssa's son Ash while he anxiously awaits the return of his wife and friend. Partly because I wanted the focus on the bonding rather than the action, but also because for Sam, the waiting is much harder than risking his life in battle. (Which suddenly brings to mind the Tom Petty song that goes, "The waiting is the hardest part".) We know from the books that whenever Alyssa is out on a dangerous assignment without him, it drives Sam crazy with worry. And what I love about Sam is that even though he can't stop worrying, he respects Alyssa's abilities and knows that she can take care of herself, and doesn't try to force her or guilt-trip her into giving up her job or turning down assignments--partly because she'd kick his ass if he tried, but mostly because he respects her. ;-) I also love the way that Sam has grown from being slightly homophobic and uncomfortable around Jules, to respecting Jules and genuinely loving him as a friend, and not just because Jules is his wife's friend and former FBI partner.
Originally I just had in mind a friendshippy-bonding fic in which Sam takes care of his wife and friend after they come home tired from a long mission. But as the story developed, the "saving the world" theme gradually began working its way into the plot, with Sam thinking about how "saving the world" means more than just fighting battles, and how taking care of his family and friends is just as important.
This was my first time writing in the Troubleshooters fandom, and I can admit now that I was a little nervous about how it would be received. But fortunately my recipient was happy with the fic and left a lovely comment, and I received a couple of other comments from people who enjoyed the story, so now I can breathe a sigh of relief! I was really happy with
freneticfloetry's comment that she loved "Sam the big bad SEAL as stay-at-home dad while his badass wife is off saving the world," because part of what I love about Sam in the books is how he does not feel threatened by the badass-ness of his wife. ^_^
I had a great time playing in this fandom and writing these characters, so I hope to write more Troubleshooters fic again in the future.
Saving the World (Each in Their Own Way) (5149 words) by geri_chan
Chapters: 1/1
Fandom: Troubleshooter Inc. - Suzanne Brockmann
Rating: Teen And Up Audiences
Warning: No Archive Warnings Apply
Relationships: Roger "Sam" Starrett/Alyssa Locke
Characters: Roger "Sam" Starrett, Alyssa Locke, Jules Cassidy, Robin Chadwick
Summary: Waiting for Alyssa and Jules to return from a mission is much harder for Sam than risking his own life. But if he can't be there with them, at least he can provide them with a hot meal and a home to return to.
I matched with my recipient Supergreak on the Troubleshooters series of novels that I've reviewed in previous posts. I was really excited, and then had a brief moment of panic when I realized that I'd offered to write in a military action/adventure/romance series, but don't usually write a lot of action scenes and have very little knowledge about weapons or military strategy beyond what I've read in the books or seen in movies/TV shows. Feeling kind of sheepish about that now, but I loved the characters and relationships in the series so much that it managed to slip my mind that someone might request an action-heavy prompt instead of a shippy (or friendshippy) one. (I would of course have done my best to write that type of story if requested, but it would have required a lot more research and canon review.)
Fortunately, Supergreak asked for "friendshippy-bonding" between Sam, Alyssa, and Jules, and gave a suggested prompt of "Maybe having Bonding Time in the middle of saving the world." I love the friendships between Alyssa and Jules, and Sam and Jules, so I was really happy to have a chance to write about my favorite characters and the bonds between them. The prompt gave me enough freedom to focus on the friendshippy stuff, but the phrase "saving the world" ended up playing a role in the story, though more in the background of the main plot.
Alyssa and Jules are off on a mission to save the world--well, maybe not the entire world, but to at least prevent a domestic terrorist attack from taking place in Sam and Alyssa's home city of San Diego. Former Navy SEAL Sam is used to being a man of action, but I decided to keep him at home in the story, taking care of his and Alyssa's son Ash while he anxiously awaits the return of his wife and friend. Partly because I wanted the focus on the bonding rather than the action, but also because for Sam, the waiting is much harder than risking his life in battle. (Which suddenly brings to mind the Tom Petty song that goes, "The waiting is the hardest part".) We know from the books that whenever Alyssa is out on a dangerous assignment without him, it drives Sam crazy with worry. And what I love about Sam is that even though he can't stop worrying, he respects Alyssa's abilities and knows that she can take care of herself, and doesn't try to force her or guilt-trip her into giving up her job or turning down assignments--partly because she'd kick his ass if he tried, but mostly because he respects her. ;-) I also love the way that Sam has grown from being slightly homophobic and uncomfortable around Jules, to respecting Jules and genuinely loving him as a friend, and not just because Jules is his wife's friend and former FBI partner.
Originally I just had in mind a friendshippy-bonding fic in which Sam takes care of his wife and friend after they come home tired from a long mission. But as the story developed, the "saving the world" theme gradually began working its way into the plot, with Sam thinking about how "saving the world" means more than just fighting battles, and how taking care of his family and friends is just as important.
This was my first time writing in the Troubleshooters fandom, and I can admit now that I was a little nervous about how it would be received. But fortunately my recipient was happy with the fic and left a lovely comment, and I received a couple of other comments from people who enjoyed the story, so now I can breathe a sigh of relief! I was really happy with
I had a great time playing in this fandom and writing these characters, so I hope to write more Troubleshooters fic again in the future.
